Sunday, August 14, 2011

Half crazy

005
I believe common wedding present etiquette is that you can have up to a year after the wedding to get organised. And if that's true then I made it in plenty of time. The wedding was last October. I can't remember exactly when I started knitting, but it would have been around that time.
044_edit
This blanket is a variation on one I made earlier. The concept was a lap rug for two, and the two squares were made in the same way as that earlier blanket, then I used the garter stitch border to join them. The red line in the photo below is there to show the only seam I had to sew. It is definitely the biggest thing I have ever knit, and I am glad it was winter when I did the border - that is a lot of wool to sit under while knitting!
007_redline
When I came up with the idea, I thought it was a kind of a nifty idea for a wedding gift, even if it might not turn out to be practical for two people to actually use at once. But as I was finishing it I had all sorts of doubts about a blanket of this shape/size. Had I just ploughed on with an ill-thought out idea, and made a simply weird object? Well, it wouldn't be the first time I had made something a bit odd, but I was encouraged when the recipients mentioned it seemed like a 'lap rug for two', unprompted.
009

032
The colours were taken from the pink and orange theme for the wedding, and it is made from a range of 8 plys including a fair bit of Bendigo Classic 8ply.
048_edit

030


11 comments:

amy said...

What a nice gift! Imagine getting a whole handknit blanket as a wedding present--worth the wait, I'd say!

Anonymous said...

Olivia it's beautiful. and your photography shows it so well. Champion woman with a huge heart. ily ma

happyspider said...

It's brilliant! And the colour choices and stripe sequencing are just right. Awesome :)

Rose Red said...

It's fantastic! Love the colours together and how it matches the wedding theme so perfectly. And since it is made for two, there will be no fighting over it!

Carly said...

That is a seriously large amount of work! What a lovely gift.

Bells said...

it's just lovely. So glad to see it done and given to your friends. Beautifully executed. And yes, blankets are for winter knitting for sure!

Alwen said...

Don't those rows get lonnnnnnnng as the squares get bigger? That's amazing.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous. We love it!!! I have spent a lot of time snuggled under it already. You are so clever. A very special gift which will be treasured, reminding us of our special day and a special friend. Thank you!

Samantha Green said...

What a gorgeous blanket. I am inspired by the thought you put into your artistic creations.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Wow! That's a great gift and I was just mouth open with the amount of work involved - there are things that can been seen and know that work and work and work goes into them. That's the kind of gift where a part of you will always be with them. Thanks for showing that.

Anonymous said...

unbelievably gorgeous!