Monday, June 15, 2009

Not such a yarn snob

buster blanket-3
I made a blanket and I am ridiculously pleased by it. OK, it's a lap blanket.
buster blanket-2
It's a bit daggy and was always going to be that way. I had this fuzzy blue stuff (Lang Arté, picked out of a specials bin at Lincraft several years ago) that I originally thought could be a quick spidery shawl. When I finally tried it I didn't like it knit alone, as it was somewhat fragile and stretchy. So I combined it with leftovers of a nice cottony-feeling acrylic (Elle Pure Gold) which I originally bought for a baby blanket for a no-wool family. Then I incorporated sections of some Euro-novelty stuff - also from Lincraft years ago - they had these bags with about eight different 'luxury' novelty yarns. This was before Lincraft had so many of its own branded product and they sold a lot of European imports. And there is a narrow purple stripe which is Cleckheaton Taboo, I think.

I should have separated the two different coloured sections in the middle, I think. But given that this was made with no planning and no counting of rows, generally brought out between projects or on those particularly brain-fried nights, I think it looks all right. If I had had enough of the Arté and the dark blue Pure Gold to do the whole thing with just those, it would actually look a bit like the type of bouclé throw rug you can buy for your couch.
buster blanket
In any case it is very warm and cosy, and doesn't show dog hair.

4 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

It looks quite lovely! Also warm and cozy, as you say.

Anonymous said...

I love it - it's quirky! - and I love your photography too. ily Ma

Bells said...

That's lovely. A great mix of yarns I think!

Michelle said...

I think it looks great, and very snuggly!