Thursday, October 23, 2008

We don't do things because they are easy, we do them because they are the right thing.

Elizabeth McClung has asked for help spreading the word about her vocation - the Postcard Project.

In spite of, but also because of, very severe and deteriorating health problems, Elizabeth has embarked on a project to send postcards to absolutely anyone who asks for them. Anyone at all. (Apparently if George Bush actually asked, he'd be in). You just have to ask. She will do her best to find a suitable card for each person, including for children. As she says,

How am I going to convince anyone, much less myself, that they as a human being, regardless of disability, depression, feelings of isolation, political or religious difference, are worthy of everyones complete and equal respect as a human being if I do not start.

I'm on Elizabeth's list and love receiving her beautiful work. I didn't sign up at first, thinking I wasn't a particularly needy recipient, and aware that most of her regular readers and commenters are living with disabilities and I'm not part of that circle . Silly way to think isn't it? Aren't we all different people who make a connection through the words and thoughts shared in a medium, in this case a blog? Finally one of her pleas for people to email her to ask for a postcard convinced me. And then her postcard arrived as a bright spot in the week that Grandma died.

Elizabeth needs more people, not to raise money or raise awareness or do anything really, just to be part of her project, because it makes a difference to people and that knowledge is what she seeks most of all.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

This is such a great project. I've just emailed Elizabeth. Thanks for letting me know!

Donna Lee said...

I'm going to email her as well. Although I don't feel needy, like you said, who knows what the future will bring?

Bells said...

How fabulous. I'm signing up! Thank you for this.

Elizabeth McClung said...

I have all these requests from the ACT, and now I know why. Thanks, I will try to exceed your expectations (though considering you are all crafters, that will be hard indeed!).

Thanks Olivia. Thank you very much. Yes, don't worry about the disabilities or not. I don't.

Denise said...

Thank you for this - I've emailled her asking if she can send one to Othlon... fascinating project!