Friday, March 14, 2008

there is definitely something going on upstairs

I got back on Monday night from my annual Adelaide trip for Womadelaide. Unfortunately I came down with a stomach bug on Saturday and missed a lot of the festival. I had to bug out early on Saturday and couldn't go anywhere on Sunday. Oh yeah, I'm fine now, and back to eating with a vengeance. And looking forward to the V-festival. Duran Duran!

I did have a good time on Friday night. The highlight was supercalifragilisticly authentic Romanian gypsy band Taraf de Haidouks, with four fiddles. And two piano accordions. Amongst other things.


I do try to sample the variety of music at these festivals, but inevitably I'm drawn to anything with fiddles, and the more the better.

I also loved diva Mavis Staples' show on Friday night, and the part of the Black Arm Band's set that I saw. Don't you love that name for a collective of indigenous Australian musicians?

2 comments:

Alwen said...

Ohh, gypsy music, sounds great!

Sorry about the stomach bug, though.

Donna Lee said...

What a great sounding festival. Sucks about the bug, though.