Sunday, December 16, 2007

Loving you... is it the right thing to do?



I knitted a tree. When I saw the Fun Fur Kitchmas Tree pattern I had a vision inspired by the Queen Victoria Building's enormous tree covered in Swarovski crystal ornaments. I know someone who is very very enamoured of that particular tree.



I sprung for a few Swarovski beads, including the star (actually a starfish) for the top, and the rest are faceted glass beads.



It's stuffed with wadding, and the base is crocheted over a cardboard circle. Looking at that picture makes me think of Press Gang, because that's what I was watching (straight through all five seasons, obsessively) at the time.



How crazily green is Canberra right now? It still feels weird to have rain.

When K saw me making this tree he had a vision too. In a lucrative business deal the shop had aquired a free 'Sea urchin light' - a battery-operated star shaped light on a stand. A bit odd really. But build a fluffy tree around it and suddenly it all comes together.

Yes that is a lot of star relative to tree. The size of the tree was limited by the height of the stand.

12 comments:

amy said...

Oh, Olivia, I do like that tree, very very much. It's beautiful with the crystal beads, too, and the dainty little starfish. (My boys and I, we like sea stars, too.) What a cheerful tree.

Donna Lee said...

Olivia, you are so creative. I love that tree! The starfish is a wonderful touch and I like the large star. I really enjoy seeing what you come up with. You make me feel like a slug! Great tree.

Taphophile said...

A fabbo use for novelty yarn. Love the juxtaposition of Swarovski crystals and novelty yarn!

Love Press Gang. I used to tape it and watch it when I got home from work.

Djaughan Zelmonde said...

"Loving you....is it the right thing to do?" Dunno why, but for some reason this makes me think of mother dear and your reservation of hearing the "Show and Tell" story. Well, I reckon 'TIS the right thing to do!!! I'm speechless about the tree but even more touched by your thought, effort and time. Thank you.

Rose Red said...

Wow - an acceptable use of the novelty yarn! Looks great!

Bron said...

Liv you've done an excellent job on the trees!!! Both look great =)

m1k1 said...

Wooden it be luverly?
Such a cute tree, with the sparklies and all.
I'm not a one for much Christmas decoration, but I can really see a whole miniature scene based around a few of these knitted trees.
How do people come up with these ideas?

Alwen said...

There you go, what a great use for fun fur! I knew it had to be useful for something.

Bells said...

I said to Sean, 'Olivia knitted a Christmas tree' and he was amazed. So am I. You impress me all the time!

Denise said...

Oh wow, what an amazing tree, and a great use of both novelty yarn and the gorgeous crystals!

Fantastic job - the next thing you know it'll be "Olivia's Original Knitting Patterns" book! :D

Anonymous said...

Love the tree Liv. Does it live in the shop right now? You could set a up a whole scene with Wonder Woman and co..
The song is fitting too.

Melinda said...

Heehee...very cute! Merry Christmas!