Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Putting the 'mental' in sentimental


You've seen this before, right?
Actually, not quite. This time around I added a "Tree of Life" cabled motif to the back, just to try something new.


I actually agonised about this for a while. Because the first little orange vest was the first garment I made for my nephew, I wondered - probably irrationally - if making another orange one from the same pattern and then (maybe) improving on it, would take away from the specialness of that gift. Edited to clarify: this one is for a different baby, due soon, not for my nephew. Sheesh. And to think that I sometimes accuse a friend of looking for things to worry about. I almost discussed it with my sister, then realised there was no way she would be able to say anything other than 'go for it, and by the way you are a nut-case', so I went for it. I consoled myself with the knowledge that I have many more (and more innovative, I hope) knits planned for the nephew and any little sisters or brothers he is eventually blessed with.


The tree chart came from a free Lion Brand pattern, the "Tree of Life Sweater" (no direct link because you have to register to access free patterns).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous Liv - and yes you are a nut case :) my very favourite kind...

Bertie Mabootoo said...

If I ever become the kind of guy who wears an orange sweater vest (orange - yes please, vest - not so much), I'll definitely be asking you to make it.

I can't even comprehend how something so tops can spring forth from the raw material. It's the best kind of magic :)

zjcroft said...

I think its fantastic, I'm sure your nephew will adore it. Looking forward to seeing more of your creations;-)

Olivia said...

Sometimes I forget that you're not all in my head already. (But then what would be the point of blogging?) I should clarify, this one is for another baby, not my nephew, hence the dilemma about retrospectively making the earlier garment 'less special'.

Bells said...

that is beautiful! The ToL design came from Lion Brand? I didn't know they produced anything nice at all. I have a ToL tattoo. I want to be able to knit one too!

And yeah, it wasn't clear you were making it for someone else and not the first nephew! :-)