Saturday, September 02, 2006

Just look outside it's a lovely day

It's warming up. Today was the First Footloose Day of Spring. Yes, I went out without socks on.

Yesterday I took a jacket to work but it was just a formality. I thought it might cool down by the time I was going home, but I just ended up carrying it. At lunch time I had to announce to my fellow cubicle dwellers, "I'm going out and I'm not putting on a coat". A parasol against the strong sun was suggested instead.

This year I am unambiguously happy about the start of Spring, since the ski season was not worth lamenting. There is something automatic about the thrill of warmer weather coming. It seems unrelated to any logical arguments about being more comfortable, letting fresh air into living spaces, wearing less layers of clothing. It's just a mood that hits, and you just have to enjoy it for the brief time before you acclimatise and things are normal again.

Of course I am well aware that there is sure to be another cold snap. Canberra almost always has one wacky September day when it will snow (except when it happens in October instead - this is a city with regular sub-zero nights in winter, but no snow).

The icing on the cake is that the holy wireless waves of Inter-net are once again flowing at proper speed in this house. I don't have to bring some knitting or a book to sit by the computer while I wait for each page to load.

And the cherry on the top? An unexpected find of an early Kirsty MacColl compilation on CD, one I thought was only ever on vinyl. It has a few songs that don't exist anywhere else in my collection, and a couple of alternate versions of beloved songs too. I thought that when From Croydon to Cuba was delivered into my hot little hands last year, that was going to be the last New Kirsty Day, so this was a super pleasant surprise. For $6!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went out with shoes and socks yesterday and it was too much. Do you listen to the songs you title your blog by when you write it?

zjcroft said...

Hey, totally agree I love spring, I'm very looking forward to many lovely warm spring days. I haven't quite braved going sans socks but this week I'm determined to ditch my jacket...
I must admit I have never heard of Kirsty MacColl but I know the feeling of a surprising find, fantastic.

Olivia said...

Hi Phillipa. Often it is just something I've been listening to lately, but sometimes I have to work harder to find the line I want.

Anonymous said...

I am so into Spring already I really want it to summer NOW ... we have had lovely lovely weather down here (though some slippage yesterday and today) and I have a skip in my step and starch in my tail... *grin* I wore sandals on Saturday AND took my cardi off! Not to mention the plethora of cute boys that a making me oddly giddy - I have a semi-permanent 'hey baby' eyebrow-head-nod thing going on... its like a sickness man – a really fun, really naughty sickness…